Catch Fran, from local co-op Regather, in the Theatre Kitchen Marquee on Sunday 28th May from 1 – 1:30pm.
Fran will be bringing with her an entire veg box made up from seasonal produce grown Organically in Sheffield, and the demonstration will introduce different ideas for preparing fresh, local veg and using the entire box, which includes produce from Wortley Hall Walled Garden, High Riggs Garden, Forge Bakehouse, Heeley City Farm and more. She will be making pea and broad bean bruschetta with radish and rhubarb seasonal salads, prepared seasonal veg side dishes including chard and asparagus and she will share pickling, preserving and fermenting ideas for other produce.
Fran says “I have been running the Regather veg box scheme for over 3 years, it’s great to be helping people reconnect with food and where it comes from. The box scheme is about eating seasonally, making the best, and most delicious, use of fruit and vegetables when they are fresh and available locally. To that end, we include recipes in each box, include information about where and by whom the produce is grown and promote various ways of cooking and eating, such as preserving and fermenting.
“It’s a joy to work on a scheme that puts such a huge effort into supporting Sheffield enterprise, making an effort to forge strong links with local growers and producers and trying to enable the box scheme customers to develop a relationship with the growers and producers too.”
Regather is a Co-Operative organisation engaged in the development of a sustainable food economy for Sheffield. Our main activities include:
- A Fruit & Veg Box Scheme, supporting locally sourced producers (inc. Wortley Hall Walled Garden, High Riggs Garden, Sheffield Organic Growers, Forge Bakehouse Bread, milk, eggs, Birdhouse tea / Twin Cafe coffee, Regather Beer, Organic Wines)
- A Brewery, focusing on small batch Craft Beer and Brew Day Experiences
- Urban Agriculture Initiatives and partnerships
- A Venue – featuring a diverse programme of music, comedy, film and personal celebrations
- Outdoor Events and Community Festivals, inc. The Folk Forest